Tuesday, February 20, 2018

Areas for Improvement


While preparing for both tests highest level (T-3, 1-3), I thought it’d be helpful for me to figure out what I’ve got locked down and what I need to work on.

Unrelated - here are some videos from our lesson this last Friday.  Sorta gives a feel for where we are on trot/canter.
 
 
General challenges

1.       Keeping him relaxed and focused on me

2.       Keeping MYSELF from making noise (kissing, clucking, good boys, oh shit!, etc)

3.       Forward, relaxed transitions

4.       Braiding?  Just pay someone???

5.       No vomiting – on or off horse

Training-3

1.       Loop from H-X-K

a.       Need to make sure it’s fluid and that the bend is there

2.       Free walk from K-X-H – we get bogged down in the walk and he gets squirmy when I’m picking him back up from a long rein

a.       Need to make sure he stays forward and relaxed

3.       Stretchy trot circle

a.       These are good, I just need to make sure I can get his focus on me in a busy show environment

First-3

1.       HA! Hahahahaha.  That’s my crazy-we-might-fail-miserably laugh.

2.       Lengthening in both trot/canter

a.       Getting there, but might need to push them a bit further

3.       Leg yield off rail to X and back to rail

a.       Need to make sure we can laterally cover the distance while remaining forward at the trot

b.       Just needs more practice, specifically in a standard size dressage arena

4.       Canter loops to X and back to rail

a.       Need to not get in his way when headed back to the rail.  I have a tendency to lean back and out when we’re returning to the rail.  This throws him off balance and often puts him back into trot.

b.       Just needs more practice, specifically in a standard size dressage arena

5.       10m trot circles/15m canter circles

a.       More practice in a standard size dressage arena

6.       In general, there is a lot of canter in this test.  His fitness is good, but we do have occasional breaks to the trot.  Need to keep him forward.

 

8 comments:

  1. No reason you can't do the braiding! Just like learning the test movements themselves it just takes some practice. I have a good technique for Cob manes if you need pointers. I personally love braiding, it's my "zen" time before I show.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would LOVE some cob mane braiding pointers!

      Delete
  2. The canter loops in 1-3 are my big challenge right now! The loops in T-3 worried me, but actually rode fine, at least for us. You're a lovely rider, Gav is a way nicer mover and steadier in the contact than my girl, I predict lots of nice scores in both tests :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well thank you on all of that! Fingers crossed your prediction comes true ;)
      Hey - just as a heads up, if you google riding the canter loop there are some really good tips on CoTH!

      Delete
  3. You guys look great in the video :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. he is just so handsome! and lots of fun stuff to be working on in that list!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I think so too ;) And do you mean "fun" or fun? I'm kinda thinking it's just "fun"... ain't nobody want to work on canter loops.

      Delete