Sunday, November 12, 2017

Work-to-Ride, Tailored Sportsman Mid-Rise Side Zip

I harbor a bitter resentment to slacks and most work clothes in general.  It bothers me that they're not comfortable, not particularly attractive, and not something I want to wear outside of the office.  A little over a year ago, I swore off buying slacks.  I vowed to find a different path. 

Ultimately, I decided that my goal would be to buy clothes acceptable in both the working and riding world.  For some, this might be easy (if the work environment is laid back or if you work with horses), and for others, this may be impossible (true business dress required at work). 

To give you background on what I do and where I work - I work as a senior accountant in an environment that is firmly business casual, which lends itself to a degree of wardrobe leniency.  I do meet with higher-ups and sit on committees with directors, but my day-in/day-out is pretty much just interacting with Finance peeps

I thought it might be beneficial to other office ladies to review some of my picks and how they've worked out as work-to-ride.

Without further ado - let the first review begin!

Brand: Tailored Sportsman
Model: Mid-Rise Side Zip
Color: Charcoal
Size: 28R
Price: $189.99
Least attractive photo available
Pockets and belt loops
Side zip (notice slight wearing at the bottom.. hmmm)


Made in the USA! 
Hook closures so you don't bust outta the zipper

Workability: I'd give these an 8/10 on the wear-to-work scale.  There are several factors that work to their advantage for presenting themselves well in the work environment.  They're a dark color and the knee patches blend in (very helpful in passing them off as professional).  I wasn't sure how I'd feel about the side zip, and generally I'd say it's a bit of a pain in the ass (compared to a regular, centered zipper), but for work purposes I actually like it.  It makes the pants seem like a modern pair of fitted slacks.  The Velcro ankle closure is subtle enough to not be noticeable when wearing with slacks, but they aren't as "finished" looking as the ankle closures on the Le Fash breeches.

Velcro closure ankle, inside
Velcro closure ankle, outside

I tend to pair these with flats (either in tan or black).  Believe me, I've considered buying a pair of brown tall boots and just breaking them in for a couple of years at the office, but I think that may be pushing it a bit too far.  We'll see.  Sweaters work well with these breeches, as would a button-up.





Rideability: I'd give these an 8/10 on the wear-to-ride scale.  They're comfortable to ride in with a good amount of stretch, while still retaining some structure so you can't see every lump and bump under the breeches (a problem I have with the Sarafina breeches).  The dark color helps at the barn for minimizing any stains while grooming/riding/doing other dirty horse stuff.  The side zip still annoys me, but since the front zip Tailoreds sometimes catch my stomach with their clip/hook closures, I actually prefer these.  Velcro isn't super fun under boots, but there isn't a ton of extra fabric on these, and I've had no problem zipping up my boots.  I would wear these for everyday rides, lessons, and clinics (not that I have any money to do the latter).

Summary: I would definitely recommend these breeches as an option if you're trying to go incognito equestrian at work.  These breeches are easy to take care of (machine wash, and either hang to dry or tumble dry low) and seem to last forever with very little wear and tear.  They also come in a huge range of colors, some of which I definitely have my eye on for work-to-ride (Boysenberry, black, maaaaybe the moody blue).

2 comments:

  1. I always want to do something like this but since I'm so tall I feel like the pants end in the most awkward location...looks cute on you though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ha i love the idea of equestrian wear as functional fashion... tho most of my breeches are full seats so it kinda.... makes it more challenging lol

    ReplyDelete