Saturday, November 25, 2017

Putting My Money Where My Mouth Is


The last time I wrote, I let my goal to get my bronze medal with Gavin out into the universe.  After confessing my plans here, I went out and told my riding buddy (who I think is a little bummed since she's not super into dressage), my husband, my mom, and finally my trainer.

Surely if we can cross this water without rolling in it, we can do anything... AMIRITE!?!

Here is what you need to obtain your bronze medal per the USDF website (usdf.org):

1.       Rider must:

a.       Have a USDF Participating Membership (PM) or Group Membership (GM) when scores are earned

b.       Horse must have a USDF Horse Identification Number or a USDF Lifetime Horse Registration at the time the scores are earned

c.       Horse shall be registered with USDF in the name of the owner under which it is exhibited

d.       Scores may be earned on one or more horses

2.       Must have six scores of 60 percent or higher:

a.       Two at First Level from two different judges and two different rides

b.       Two at Second Level from two different judges and two different rides

c.       Two at Third Level from two different judges and two different rides

Hammin' it up for cookies

Once I started looking around the USDF website, I realized that with a little extra effort and money, Gavin and I could compete for Breed Awards (Welsh Cob), USDF Year-End Adult Amateur Awards and possibly Pony Awards (waiting to get his official measurement – he’s right on the edge).  Here is what you need to be eligible to compete for these awards per the USDF website (usdf.org):

1.       Rider must

a.       Have a USDF Participating Membership or Business Membership (regional group membership won’t suffice) and be in good standing

b.       Confirm you are listed as an adult amateur by September 30th of the award year.

c.       Meet the USEF dressage definition of adult (22).

d.       Birth date must be on file with USDF by September 30th of the award year.

e.       Horse must have a USDF lifetime horse registration when scores are earned

f.        Specific for all-breeds awards:

                                                               i.      Must be declared for a participating organization (Welsh Pony and Cob Society of America)

                                                             ii.      Must meet all requirements of the participating organization (whatever those may be)

2.       Training, First, Second, Third, or Fourth Level awards

a.       Must have a minimum of eight scores:

                                                               i.      Four different judges

                                                             ii.      Four different USEF-licensed/USDF-recognized competitions

                                                           iii.      Including two at 60 percent or higher from the highest test of the level

                                                           iv.      Median score of 60 percent or higher to qualify

There are similar awards offered by my regional dressage club (Rocky Mountain Dressage Society) and the qualifying classes all overlap.  To qualify for RMDS championships (held at the Colorado Horse Park) per the RMDS website (RMDS.org):

1.       Horse/owner/rider must be current RMDS members

2.       Horse/rider combination must receive two qualifying scores from RMDS recognized competitions at the level of the championship class they they wish to qualify to ride in the current RMDS show year; one of the tests must be the highest test at that level

3.       Scores must be from two different shows and two different judges

a.       Scores must be a minimum of 60% for Adult Amateur

So… what does registering for all of these *wonderful* memberships cost?

1.       USDF Lifetime Horse Registration - $95

2.       Annual USDF Participating Membership - $90

3.       Annual USEF Membership - $90

4.       Annual RMDS Membership - $90

That’s right – just to compete for these awards, I’ll be spending nearly $400 purely in membership fees.  I’ve already purchased both USDF memberships and will be buying the remaining two when I can stomach it.  I'm planning on competing at training and 1st level.
It’s exciting and nauseating all at the same time.

Bro Time


6 comments:

  1. Buying memberships in waves is a useful tool

    ReplyDelete
  2. soooooo many memberships! solid first step tho!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You got this! :) I like splitting up paying for things too, it somehow hurts less that way haha

    ReplyDelete
  4. If all goes to plan, I want to be able to ride at a couple of gold shows here this year...which are similar in their requirements for all the expensive memberships and so, so much paperwork! I think they should have some kind of bundled package on the websites...like where I can choose the "I am an adult ammy from x location who wants to compete at x level with x horse in 2018" button...and they're like, "thank you, your total is $455, would you like to make monthly payments?" :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I looked into this years ago. It's crazy how expensive it is.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Paying for memberships is my least favorite part of showing... I always put it off as long as I can, heh.

    ReplyDelete