Monday, May 5, 2014

Head Gear

I'm officially broke.  And I know just why:

  1. Full time training in April for my pony (so totally worth it)
  2. New helmet (my old one was infested with mice, and after I performed an exorcism on it it fell apart **the power of christ compels you, holy water splashed feverishly, helmet hissing and writhing**) -- I had bought the economy Charles Owen a month prior, but it just fit my head strangely (aka my head is oval shaped, and it's definitely more for the round-heads).  I have yet to return it (because I'm lazy and don't want to go to UPS), but in its place I purchased an IRH ATH SSV from eBay.  It was $70 cheaper on eBay than SmarkPak, but of course I was risking whether or not it'd fit.  Luckily, it does.  :)
  3. New bridle -- as I'm pretty sure you're all aware, SmartPak had a massive bridle sale to clear out for their mono-crown bridles coming in later this summer.  I bought the WellFleet Double Raised Padded Snaffle in both cob and horse (Gav is a hard fit, but he was definitely cob with this bridle).  Again, I've been too lazy to go to UPS quite yet, but it's going to happen.  I need the credit on my freaking credit card!  It's a flash, which Gavin hasn't used previously, but he's going well in it and it's a beautiful bridle!
  4. Another Rambo flysheet.  Because Gavin nearly destroyed his last summer.  I somehow managed to sew the old one back together about 10 times last summer, but I wouldn't exactly call the job professional (imagine white thread hanging everywhere).  He's currently wearing the old, dilapidated one, but who knows how long it'll last - and when it dies, I need to have a replacement on hand since he gets such bad sweet itch.
Gav in his new big boy bridle
What does this mean for May?  It means I can't buy shit!  I'm okay with that.  :)  I think I have everything I need.  Except for maybe some summer gloves (I've been using Lowes gardening gloves since last summer)  They work, but I don't think they're quite show appropriate. <-- and this is how I become broke, thought patterns like this.

The following pics are totally random, but I'd never been to a Dave and Buster's until recently.  It was fun!  Here's a couple of pics from the gaming extravaganza!

Check out those guns ;)

We're nerds, but we have fun together :)


8 comments:

  1. I'm joining you on the broke bus. It's the place to be!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's where are all the cool kids are nowadays… ;)

      Delete
  2. You gotta do, what you gotta do. Buy all the things. It sounds like you really did need them though....(enabling) :0)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haven't you ever seen intervention?!?! You need to read me a letter "Erika, your out of control horse spending habits have affected me negatively in the following ways..."

      Delete
  3. That really is a pretty bridle and your head needs to be protected and Gavin absolutely has to have a good fly sheet and the training is an investment.... yep, I'd say all justified expenses. I don't believe intervention is necessary unless you start stocking up on $350 breeches because they're cute or something like that. One or two pairs might be okay though....
    Yeah, I'm not a good person to listen to on this subject.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do like to think it was "all for Gavin" ;)

      You would be horrified - my breech selection is extremely limited.

      Delete
  4. Helmets are always a good investment! And go you for putting him in full training. Seriously, your head is in the right place (and safe, now too!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate spending the money, but I read someone's blog recently where they mentioned how it's basically the most important piece of equipment you can have and I agree - so I need to get over my annoyance at spending money on helmets!

      Delete