Saturday, April 12, 2014

9 Rides In

So Gavin is 9 rides in to his pony bootcamp month.  It's been hard work (for Gavin, Glenda, and even me!).  I'm not used to going out quite so much, but even when I'm not riding - I try to make it out whenever possible.

I had another lesson today (one on Thursday and one today).  They were both really good!  Through the tutelage of a trainer, it seems to have clicked to Gavin what is expected (to a point) and he seems relatively willing to comply *most of the time*.  Thursday we had a couple iffy moments - one where I told him no, and he threw a tantrum about his sweet, easy-going mom telling him no and threw his body across the arena, eventually smacking his butt right into the wall.  We bounced off the wall and did a lovely leg-yield.  And one other time where his whole body was screaming "I'M GOING TO BUCK YOU OFF!!!".  I laughed and told my trainer about the feeling and in classic trainer fashion she said matter-of-factly "He's going to buck, but you won't come off.  Now canter."  We cantered, he bucked one of his adorable, little pony bucks, I didn't come off, and we wound up having a nice canter.

Today we had a less explosive ride, but it was more about me than Gavin.  *hangs head*  I have some bad hand habits, and I wish I could just get over it and have steady, calm hands, but I feel like the more I worry about it, the worse they get.  I'm posting a video of our ride today.  It exemplifies the bumpy ride I'm giving Gavin's mouth, and I don't feel good about that.  I will admit though, that though my hands look AWFUL - I am really pleased with Gavin.  Cover the rider-up with your hand and just watch that beautiful pony go.  Ugh!  I compared this video with the last video of me and am really pleased.  His reach underneath is shockingly different.  If anyone has tips for steady hands, please - I'm all ears!



We worked on half-halts today, because as I've mentioned, Gavin sometimes will take me for a ride on the pony express.  At first they were not only too much, but they were basically ineffective.  I was just pulling.  By the end though they were wonderful feeling.  I'd squeeze lightly with my legs, squeeze lightly with my outside rein, and whisper "Gaaaavin" in my lowest voice.  I could feel him just tuck up.

So what is going well:

  1. Gavin reaching under himself at the walk/trot/canter
  2. Transition into and out of canter is much improved
  3. Leg yields!  We're doing 'em!
  4. I haven't been leaning in so much to the right.
What needs work:

  1. My hands!  MY ELBOWS LOCKING!
  2. Right lead canter needs a lot of TLC
  3. Halt means stop moving your feet Gavin - he shuffles, this has been improving, but we want more!
  4. I still need to be more decisive when riding - stop worrying about if I make a mistake, and try stuff when the statue look isn't working.
Anyways - that's it for now.  I'm really happy with our progress (specifically his) and I know that with time and commitment my hands will improve.  And then I can focus on my next big body issue!    

12 comments:

  1. You both look good. Was this on Saturday?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking good. Is it possible that most of your hand issues are related to how stiff your arms look? I find that I have a hard time keeping my arms fluid while keeping my hands still sometimes and it is because I end up locking my arms (shoulders and elbows) and it is impossible to be soft and steady when I do that. Just an observation. Regardless you guys are looking good and I am sure you will figure it all out :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the arms locking is TOTALLY the problem. I'm like a car without good shock absorbers! Do you have any techniques to loosen up your arms and shoulders?

      Thanks for your thoughts!

      Delete
    2. I had a trainer that would have me kind of roll my shoulders from, alternating from one side to the other. This helped loosen up my shoulders and also to sit deeper and more relaxed in the saddle. I kind of thought he was a little crazy at first, but it really helped.

      Delete
  3. You guys look good! You look like a you've both improved a lot in a short time! It looks like your hands are in the right spot, just that you haven't quite gotten that elastic feel yet. Maybe you're focusing so much on your hands not moving that you're locking yourself up? I find that just taking a consistent contact and letting my hands move with their mouth, but not worrying about the actual frame helps. If I think more about getting them forward, rhythmic, and relaxed into that elastic connection then the frame comes on it's own for the most part. From their I can soften and adjust with very minimal aids. I also will move my hands forward just an inch and focus on them reaching into the contact rather than bringing them back into the frame. I'm not saying you are or aren't doing these things, just going from my own experiences and what I did to fix myself. You have both already improved so much, you'll get the hand thing down soon :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate your thoughts! It's funny - you and Hillary *above* both mention things my trainer says. Basically pushing him into the contact (she's also suggested pushing my hands forward a little) rather than forcing a frame. And also relax my arms! One thing I find useful for the arm relaxation is to focus on my core more, but when I push my arms out and ask for him to go forward into the contact I feel like I'm riding behind him (does that make sense?). This to me is an independent seat issue, which makes me want lunge line lessons! I think I could benefit a lot! And thanks for the compliments. He's a great little pony, and I hope to be a great rider for him. :)

      Delete
    2. That definitely makes sense :) I think lunge line lessons are always good, no matter what level someone is at. I could certainly use a few again.

      Delete
  4. Looks a lot better than anything I can manage so best I refrain from commenting ;-p
    Keep up the fab work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh booooo! Please, comment away! :)

      And thank you! I'm enjoying watching Gavin change, and can only hope to keep up with his progress.

      Delete
  5. I just found your blog and Gavin is all kinds of adorable! I've been doing some back reading to catch up on your story together. What an awesome fellow. I second the comment about lunge line lessons - they are my favorite thing in the whole entire world. Okay, that's a slight exaggeration but I love them and I think they are wonderful. You could work on a lot before you even picked up the reins, like keeping your arms soft, taking them in and out of position, etc. Great blog! Look forward to following :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure why my last reply didn't go through - so I'll try this again! Thank you for reading, and I'll pass the compliment along to Gavin ;) I found a friend who is going to be the driver for the lunging and I'm excited to work on my hands and keeping my damn feet down when asking for the canter. :)

      Delete