Friday, November 10, 2017

Pony Punch

I trailered Gav for another lesson this afternoon.


No new pics of Gavin, so pics of puppy boy instead!

Takeaways:

1) Gavin can get hurt by the trailer in ways I never dreamed.  In today's example, he hurt himself by excitedly punching his nose in the air to get hay loose from his net and accidently punched the side of the trailer... hard.  He clipped himself pretty good and got a little cut.  Poor guy looked about how one might feel if they just managed to punch themselves in the face.  Lots of confusion and hurt feelings.  He forgave the trailer after about 5 seconds and went back to eating.

2) He seems to be getting this whole tug the tail to back up thing.  What a good boy!

3) There's actually a pull-through at my new barn so I don't have to back it into it's spot.  How did I miss this the last two times I've trailered?!?! (great example of book smart v. street smart)

4) I might be the slowest truck/trailer driver in Colorado.  All the annoyed people behind me can suck it.
Was mega sick earlier this week.  Soup, blanket, and puggy boy helped get me better for my lesson.


Trainer's thoughts:

1) He tries all of his pony tricks to not have to lift his shoulders up, but once you free them up he becomes much suppler laterally as well as longitudely (maybe a word I just made up).

2) He's not strong enough to keep the shoulders lifted for long, so get some good work and then reward with a break

3) He's figured out that when I ask him to bend, it's easier for him to just bend his neck.  And I've totally fallen for it.  Must. Not. Fall. For. It.

4) If I ask for bend with inside leg and what I get in response is him pushing into that leg - give him three quick bops to say noooo - that means get away from my leg.


shhhhexxxxy
Homework:

1) Walk shoulder-in on a circle - Inside rein is to be open away from neck, outside rein against the neck (no using indirect rein for bend).  Inside leg bump him, outside leg back to guard for swinging haunches.  Use whip behind leg if he doesn't get it.

2) Lateral work in general

3) Encourage long and low in warmup (Trying to build the right muscles rather than allowing the wrong ones to get stronger... he luuuurves keeping that neck high and tight.  Sorry buddy.

4) An arena or two in both directions of *up* canter with half halts to keep those shoulders up.

Picture from after lesson.  I look totally insane, but I'm documenting my love for my new Horseware headband (for cold ass ears) and two year old Kerrits vest that I adore (hides all flaws while lessoning, so ya know, don't have to feel self conscious)


2 comments:

  1. Aww boo to Gav bumping his nose!! Charlie does careless shit like that alllll the time. Ugh. Sounds like a great lesson tho! That whole "lifting shoulders" and being laterally supple thing... Sometimes I feel like that's what I'll be working on forever and ever and ever amen....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh I hate when horses get hurt in the trailer. Let it be the winter of lateral work!

    ReplyDelete