Wednesday, June 14, 2017

Ignore the helmet mullet - show pics

I went to a Pinto Horse (open breed) show this last weekend.  My friend and I both thought it'd be fun and relaxed, and seeing as how the venue is about 10 minutes from our barn it was impossible to say no.  Before I go any further, please forgive my hair.  I don't know what the fuck I was thinking.  Honestly, I wasn't thinking.  Fuck it- I know it looks awful, and I regret it.  On to the recap!


Gavin was really awesome.  He listened (mostly), he did what I asked (mostly), and he kept the pony antics to a minimum.  I was beaming with pride riding around on him.
What a hunk, right?
First up - English Pleasure.  Now, I figured we'd biff this class.  Gavin IS a pleasure to ride and he rode well in the class, but a low headset is not his bag, baby.  Nor does he have a swinging stride.  We came in dead last.
Ponies UNITE!  My horsegirllove is in back on her grey, Sterling. She rocked every class!
Next up - English Show Hack.  If you're like me - you're thinking "wtf is this?".  Based on the YouTube videos I watched the night before the test - this was like rail dressage.  You show the horse in all three gaits at regular, collected, and extended.  The horses seemed to be a bit spicier than the English Pleasure mounts, with more knee action, and generally a higher headset.  I figured this was in the bag for us.  Well... I was wrong.  And to be totally honest, I don't know why.  We came in second to last.  Besides one naughty moment where he really considered chasing the horse in front of us and one serious look at a barrel on the outside of the arena, he was totally on his game.  His gaits were adjustable, he was most definitely forward, and transitions were good.

Canter
MOOORE CANTER

MOOOOOORE CANTER - what am I doing here?  Who knows.  Riding a beautiful ass gelding, and flinging my body all over the place - that's what!
Our last class of the day was in halter.  Idk why... for fun?  We had to walk and trot the horse and then set them up for the judge.  I had been told you aren't allowed to place your horse's legs, and there was no getting Gavin to stand square, so I just went with it.  He actually did pretty well in the class.  The two horses who placed ahead of Gav looked to be halter bred QHs.  Both handlers placed each leg, both horses had some MAJJOOOOR bling on their halters.  We did compete against a spicy lil mini stud.  He was adorable, but a total bastard.  Rearing, screaming, bolting.  It would've been a scene, except he was just sooo cute and little.

Giving his handler some shit

Gavin in halter


My main men (just missing the puggy boy!)

Me - happy as hell to be done with classes

6 comments:

  1. I used to show almost exclusively in open shows like this with my old Quarter Horse. They say open, but really they're judged like breed shows. 95% of the judges are stock horse people, who want peanut rollers and slow slow slow. Even though I had a QH, he didn't move around like that and we would either go and do super well or get dead last in every class... with little to no change in performance. Kind of frustrating, but fun when you're having a good day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is good to know and definitely a salve to my ego wounds. :)

      Delete
  2. Looks like a super fun day!!! Gavin is so freakin handsome ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Breed shows are tough to place at when you're not the stereotype of that breed. Having looks great though.

    ReplyDelete